October 1944

Compiled, edited and published by Historical Section, Second Cavalry Association
Maj. A. L. Lambert and Cpt. G. B. Layton, 2d Cavalry

WWIIC Troop, 2d Squadron

C Troop arrived at Lenoncourt, France, for a well deserved rest on the third day of October, after sixty days of continual driving and fighting. Lenoncourt was small, one of those rural towns complete with manure piles, the French sign of wealth, not at all different from the countless other villages passed in the course of the nearly 500 miles covered since August 3 when we first saw action at Fougeres (map I)(map 15).

At Lenoncourt the Troop was billeted in barns and each platoon had it’s own cook. The weather was beginning to get cold, the wind was cutting, and the days usually wet. For eight days we rested in the town, went to nightly shows at the Squadron CP, pulled no guard and had plenty to eat.

On the 11th of October, the Troop moved out of Lenoncourt, heading for Parroy (map 29a)(map OHW). At Henamenil, near our destination, it was discovered that the road into Parroy was heavily mined. Since removal would require too much time, the Troop dismounted and went ahead on foot to occupy the town, relieving C Troop of the 42d. Outposts were established in the woods east of town and for two days things remained quiet, although our dismounted patrols scoured the woods in the area.

On the 13th, enemy artillery began zeroing in on Parroy. S/Sgt. Proebstle, platoon sgt. of the second platoon, was wounded when a shell struck the platoon’s billet. (Note: A captured enemy artillery chart had a concentration number on the CP in Parroy.) A four man patrol was sent out in an effort to discover enemy positions, ran into a machine gun nest and only one man returned, Pvt. DeFeo. Later that day one of the outposts noticed some German soldiers carrying a man in a shelter half and, after arranging a truce, found that they wished to return two members of the patrol, Sgt. Thompson and Pvt. Reidle. Thompson, the patrol leader, and Reidle were turned over to our medics after a half-hour truce. Pvt. Frederick Idzior, the fourth member of the patrol, was never located and was reported as missing in action.

More patrols were sent out during the next four days, most of them drawing enemy fire, but sustaining only one casualty during the period, S/Sgt. Douglas, who was wounded.

The Troop was relieved by the 42d on the morning of the 18th, and pulled back to Bathelmont (map 29a) for a rest period.

The Group report of 19 October makes note that “Troop A, 42d Squadron, was attached to the 328th Infantry Regiment”. On the 20th, “the 42d Squadron moved to occupy the high ground on Moncourt ridge until the 26th Division attacked Moncourt (map 29a)(OHW). The Squadron attacked in conjunction with the 104th Infantry Regiment on the north and the 121st Cavalry Squadron on the south”. (Note: “Hambonewoods (map OHW) was taken in this push on 20 October. C Troop attacked on the right due east. B passed through and attacked north to Bois Frontiere (map OHW).

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.